Don M. Sowers
Don M. Sowers has represented injured families and individuals in personal injury litigation with an emphasis on medical malpractice since 1998. Don began his legal career in 1986 as a defense attorney where he was a partner in a prominent personal injury law firm defending physicians, hospitals, and pharmaceutical manufacturers. Don has lived in the Chicagoland area his entire life and grew up in, and still lives in Glen Ellyn, Illinois. Don played varsity baseball at DePauw University before transferring to T.C.U. in Fort Worth, Texas where he earned his Bachelors of Business Administration in 1982 .He also played two summers of semi-pro baseball prior to attending The John Marshall Law School where he graduated in 1986.
Mr, Sowers has litigated all varieties of personal injury cases including medical malpractice, nursing home negligence, premises liability, automobile accidents, product liability, and cases involving premises liability, construction accidents, and other forms of intentional and negligent conduct resulting in serious injury or wrongful death in counties throughout Illinois. Don has obtained multimillion dollar jury verdicts and settlements in medical malpractice cases against many medical specialists including, but not limited to Orthopedic Surgeons, Cardiologists, Infectious Disease Specialists, Obstetricians, Emergency Physicians, Radiologists, and Internal Medicine Specialists. Examples of settlements achieved by Mr. Sowers in the past few years include:
- 9 million dollars against a hospital, its nurses and Obstetrician for failing to properly diagnose fetal distress during labor and failing to timely perform a cesarean section causing cerebral palsy in the baby.
- 4 million dollars against a local Medical Center for failure to timely diagnose and treat compartment syndrome after a hip replacement.
- 2.9 million dollars against a hospital and Physicians' Assistant for failing to diagnose and impending stroke.
- 2.25 million dollars against a cardiologist for failing to properly care for and treat and impeding heart attack.
- 2 million dollar jury verdict for misdiagnosing a degenerative disorder in our client's knee.
- 1.25 million dollar verdict against an Emergency Room for failing to diagnose and treat an impending stroke. The verdict was the first medical malpractice verdict in DeKalb County in seven years
Don and his wife Cathie and have grown children (four sons and a daughter) who all live in the Chicagoland area. Don coached his children's baseball, hockey, and football teams when they were younger. Don and his family enjoy golfing and spending time together at local music festivals, riding bikes together or simply barbecuing.